Friday, October 26, 2012

The Easiest Meal Ever - Tortilla Crusted Tilapia with Quinoa & Brown Rice

{Edited to add 4/8/2013 - For those of you who got to this post by searching: Can I microwave High Liner Tortilla Crusted Tilapia?: The box says that microwave cooking is not recommended.}

Like seafood? Want an easy meal but still want to eat healthy? This is me in a nutshell! Cooking is not something that I do for fun. I do not sit around and watch the Food Network during my free time or spend hours sifting through cookbooks as a hobby. Some women do love to cook. They do watch the Food Network on purpose. And that's ok. That's just not me. 

This meal is not the cheapest meal to make, but it is cheaper than eating out or even fast food, which is probably what we would do if I didn't have this easy, healthy meal to fall back on. I personally make this meal about once a week!

I get everything I need for this meal at Costco, but the products may be available other places also.

First, start with a box of High Liner tilapia. My personal favorite is Tortilla Crusted Tilapia, but Roasted Lemon Pepper is very good, too. One box from Costco will last us several dinners.




Next, follow the cooking directions on the box for whatever style tilapia you chose. (For Tortilla Crusted Tilapia, it's 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes; for the Roasted Lemon Pepper Tilapia, it's 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.)

Next, when the fish is almost done, take a package of Seeds of Change certified organic Quinoa & Brown Rice with garlic. 




Use your hands to massage the package a bit to separate the rice before opening. Then, tear off the top section and put in the microwave (standing up), for 90 seconds. Yup, that's it. Rice is done. (One package feeds my family of 4.)

Serve with a salad or other vegetable. This meal is sooooo good, and extremely healthy. The rice has zero added ingredients or preservatives, which is great. 

Voila! Dinner is served.



2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! How much do you think it costs per person? I make tilapia and brown rice, but I do a homemade variety. This one looks much tastier than mine!

    I am the girl sitting around looking at cookbooks.....but....um...it isn't for fish recipes!! It's for cookies, pies, cakes...... I wish I could long to look for fish recipes!! That would solve multiple issues!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each piece of fish is about $2 (this is a high estimate, as I *believe* the box I buy at Costco is around $15 and there are around 9 pieces in a box). 1/4 of one bag of rice is around $0.50, so if each person eats 1 piece of fish and 1 serving of rice, it's about $2.50 per person not counting the salad or other vegetable. My kids claim the Tortilla Crusted Tilapia one is "spicy", so sometimes I will make them scrambled eggs instead with the same sides and only my husband and I will eat the fish, which makes the fish last for more meals. I don't think the fish is spicy, though, and I am a baby when it comes to spicy foods! My husband often eats 2 pieces of fish, which makes his meal about $4.50, which is still less than fast food and WAY healthier!

    No matter how you do tilapia/fish, it probably isn't going to be the cheapest meal on your weekly menu, so if you are trying to make it cheaper, you can still do the boxed tilapia and make your own rice, especially if 1/4 of one bag of the quinoa is not going to satisfy all those growing boys of yours!

    And LOL at your recipe comment!

    ReplyDelete